“The name avocado comes from an Aztec word meaning ‘testicle tree’ because the rounded fruit grow in pairs”
-Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon
Apart from green leaves, avocados feature A LOT in my household. Avo toast is the favorite and most reliably filling breakfast/snack ever when you need something a bit stodgy. Use gluten free bread or any sort of cracker that you are comfortable with. Top with tomatoes and a generous sprinkling of herbsalt and black pepper. Or do a Gwyneth (from cookbook, It’s all good) and spread some vegenaise (like mayo but without the egg) underneath sliced avocado and topped with vegsalt and chili flakes. The possibilities are endless but the important bit is that an avocado a day will make your bod just that little bit happier. Here’s why:
- Stress buster. The high fat content in avocados banishes stress hormones and raises levels of “good” cholesterol whilst improving brain function
- Skin lover. The high levels of vitamin C and E helps keeping skin soft and supple whilst making your hair glossy. That in itself is worth it.
- Immunity booster. Loaded with vitamin B avocado helps the immune cells to destroy harmful invaders. A natural way to stay well.
- Mineral mine. Includes potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium and phosphorus. All stuff we tend to get in supplements – why not let nature do it’s thing naturally?
- True Super food. Contains over 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Contains more fat and protein than any other fruit.
Avocado Face Pack – to rejuvenate tired skin*
1 tsp clear honey
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp plain yogurt
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mash into a paste. Leave in the fridge for 30 minutes. Apply the pack to your face and leave for 10 minutes beforeremoving with cool water. Repeat on a regular basis. Enjoy! x
* Natural Wonderfoods